按键盘上方向键 ← 或 → 可快速上下翻页,按键盘上的 Enter 键可回到本书目录页,按键盘上方向键 ↑ 可回到本页顶部!
————未阅读完?加入书签已便下次继续阅读!
: Maybe I’ll meet someone in an elevator; and he’ll offer me a wonderful job。 也许我会在电梯里认
识一个人; 然后他将提供给我一份理想的工作;
: My worries will be over。 我就没有烦恼;
: Stop it; Laura。 Be realistic。 得了; 罗拉; 现实点。
: Yes; it’s time for a change。 对; 我应该换一个环境了;
: I hate offices。 我讨厌办公室;
: I don’t hate work …that’s why I got the job with Crawford …but I don’t like offices。 我不厌恶工作…
所以才到郭佛那里去作事──但是我不喜欢办公室;
: I don’t feel human in an office。 我觉得在公司里不像个人。
: I’d rather work with people than with files and typewriters。 我喜欢和别人接触; 不喜欢和档案、
打字机作伴。
: But how? 要怎么样才可以呢?
: I could be a real estate agent; a travel agent; 我可以当房地产经纪人、旅行经纪人、
: a。。。 anything; as long as it isn’t boring。 或什么都行; 只要不令人无聊就可以。
: Claire’s going to law school。 克蕾尔正读法律学校。
: Crawford’s son; what’s his name? 。。。Michael; Yes。 郭佛的儿子; 他叫什么名字? 。。。 麦可。 对了;
: He wants to be an artist。 他想作艺术家。
: Henry Leeds likes his job。 亨利·里德斯喜欢他的工作;
: He doesn’t want to do anything else。 他不想再做其他事情;
: It is possible to be happy at your job。 一个人能从自己的工作得到快乐; 到底不是不可能的。
: I could teach Spanish。 我可以教西班牙文;
: No; I don’t have the patience。 不; 我没有这份耐心。
: I think I’d to be my own boss。 我想我会喜欢自己当老板。
: I like to sew。 我喜欢做针? 。
: Maybe I could open a small dress shop。 也许我可以开一家小服装店。
: I wonder how much you need to start a shop。 不知道开一个店需要多少钱。
: My head is spinning。 我头昏脑胀;
: I must be getting hungry。 大概是饿了吧;
: I’m tired; too。 而且也疲倦。
: Maybe I’m getting a cold。 也许我感冒了;
: No。 You’re not getting a cold。 不;你并不是感冒;
: You’re just depressed。 And scared。 你只是沮丧和害怕。
: A dress shop。 I’ll have to think about that。 开一家服装店; 这个应该多研究研究。
: Would you like to order now? 小姐想吃什么?
MR。YAMAMOTO: Excuse me; sir。 先生请问您;
着迷英语900 句
MR。YAMAMOTO: Can you tell me where the Japanese Garden is?能不能告诉我; 日本花园在那里?
BILL: It’s quite a long walk from here。 Why don’t you take the Fair bus? It stops right over there; in
the Plaza of Nations。
Between the statue and the fountain。 从这里走到那边相当远; 您不妨搭乘博览会公车; 它就停在
那边; 在广场里的雕像和喷水池之间。
MR。YAMAMOTO: The statue? Excuse me; I don’t see as well as I used to。 雕像啊? 对不起; 我不像
以前看得那么清楚。
ALI: Hi; Mr。 O’Neill。 嗨; 欧尼尔先生。
BILL: Oh; hi; Ali。 哦; 阿里你好;
BILL: Would you do me a favor? 你愿不愿意帮我一个忙?
ALI: Sure。 好。
BILL: Would you take this gentleman to the bus stop over there? 请你带这位先生到那边巴士站;
好不好?
ALI: Sure。 Hi。 Where do you want to go? 好; 嗨; 你要去那里?
BILL: The gentleman wants to go to the bus stop; Ali。 这位先生要到巴士站; 阿里。
ALI: But where are you going after that? 然后你要去那里呢?
BILL: He asks a lot of questions。 他问了许多问题。
ALI: My father says I shouldn’t ask so many questions。 我爸爸说我不该问这么多问题;
ALI: He says it’s not polite。 So I’m sorry。 But I still want to know。 他说这样不礼貌。 所以我道歉;
但是我还是想知道。
BILL: Ali; the next bus will be here any minute。 阿里; 下一班车随时会来。
MR。YAMAMOTO: I’m going to the Japanese Garden。 我要到日本花园去。
ALI: Are you Japanese? I’m from Iran。 你是不是日本人? 我是伊朗人。
MR。YAMAMOTO: I was born in Japan。 我在日本出生。
ALI: I went to the Japanese Garden last week。 我上个礼拜到日本花园去过。
MR。YAMAMOTO: Did you? 噢; 你去过啦?
ALI: Yes; it’s very pretty。 My mother liked it very much。 I think it’s too quiet there; 是的; 非常漂
亮; 我妈妈很喜欢。 我觉得那边太安静了;
ALI: but I’ll go with you if you want。 不过; 如果你要去的话; 我就陪你去。
MR。YAMAMOTO: Thank you。 But if you e with me; your parents won’t know where you are。
谢谢。 不过; 你如果陪我去; 你父母就会不知道你到那里去了。
ALI: If you wait; I’ll tell my parents where I’m going。 你若能等我一下; 我就告诉我爸爸妈妈我
要去那里。
MR。YAMAMOTO: You are a good boy。 你真乖。
MR。YAMAMOTO: Maybe some other time。 或许; 改天吧。
ALI: Do you e here a lot? I’m here every afternoon。 My father works in that bank。 That’s my
friend; Mr。 O’Neill; the ice cream man。 你常常来这里吗? 我每天下午都在这里。 我爸爸就在那
个银行里上班; 那位是我的朋友; 欧尼尔先生; 冰淇淋摊贩。
MR。YAMAMOTO: Here’s the bus。 Good…bye; Ali。 And thank you。 巴士来了; 再见; 阿里; 谢谢你!
MIGUEL: Marta; how did you meet Michael Crawford? 玛它; 你是怎样认识麦可·郭佛的?
MARTA: It’s a funny story。 One day while I was ing down 88th Street; 说起来真好笑; 有一天
我顺着八十八街走的时候;
着迷英语900 句
MARTA: I tripped and fell。 失足跌倒了;
MARTA: My packages spilled all over the sidewalk。 ? 带的东西都散落了整个人行道。
MARTA: I twisted my ankle; and I couldn’t stand up。 我的脚踝扭伤; 简直无法站起来。
MIGUEL: Didn’t anyone help you? 没有人帮你吗?
MARTA: A couple was passing by and helped me pick up my groceries。 They even carried them
home for me。 The guy was Michael。 刚好有一对男女走过; 他们帮助我把东西拣起来; 还替我拿
回家去; 那个男的就是麦可。
MIGUEL: How long ago was that? 多久以前的事?
MARTA: Oh; about a year ago; I guess。 Then; as we were walking home; he mentioned he lived in
the neighborhood。 So
I made a friend。 噢; 大概一年以前。我想然后在回家的途中; 他说他就住在附近; 于是我们交了
朋友;
MARTA: He gives me English lessons; too。 他还替我补习英文。
MIGUEL: But he’s a painter; isn’t he? 咦? 他不是一个画家吗?
MARTA: Yes; I think so。 Why? 嗯; 好像是; 你为什么问这个?
MIGUEL: I’m just putting two and two together。 举一反叁嘛!
MARTA: What do you mean? 什么意思?
MIGUEL: I saw a picture of Michael on Pedro’s desk。 我在佩德罗的书桌上看到麦可的照片。
MARTA: Michael and Pedro! 麦可和佩德罗!
MARTA: I didn’t know they knew each other。 他们彼此认识; 我倒还不知道。
MIGUEL: Neither did I。 But apparently; they used to be best friends。 我也不知道。 不过; 很显然的;
他们一度是最好的朋友。
MARTA: Really? 真的?
MARTA: They don’t seem to have much in mon。 他们好像并没有什么共同点;
MARTA: What happened? 是怎么回事?
MIGUEL: To make a long story short; Michael’s old girlfriend fell in love with Pedro。 长话短说;
麦可以前的女朋友与佩德罗相爱了。
MARTA: Oh。 噢;
MARTA: That sounds like Pedro。 听起来就像是佩德罗干的。
MIGUEL: No; it wasn’t exactly Pedro’s fault; but Michael wouldn’t speak to him after that。 不; 这
不完全是佩德罗的过失,但是从那个时候起; 麦可就不愿意和他说话了。
MARTA: That’s understandable。 那是可以瞭解的。
MIGUEL: Maybe。 But it’s a shame。 也许。 不过; 我总觉得那是很丢人的。
MARTA: Well; Michael is sensitive。 That’s why he’s so charming。 嗯; 麦可就是敏感一点; 所以
才那么令人着迷。
MIGUEL: Yes; but now that Michael is seeing Joana; I hope he’ll forgive Pedro。不错; 但是麦可既
然和琼娜在谈恋爱; 我希望他会原谅佩德罗。
MARTA: You don’t have to worry about Pedro。 你用不着替佩德罗担忧。
MIGUEL: I know; but I think a good friendship deserves a second chance。 我知道; 但是我认为深
厚的友情应该有言归于好的机会。
MARTA: So do I; but。。。 我也这样觉得; 不过。。。
MIGUEL: And Pedro needs his old friend。 He’s very lonely。 尔且佩德罗需要他的老朋友; 他非常
着迷英语900 句
孤单。
MARTA: Lonely? Every time I see him he’s with a different woman。 孤单? 每次我看到他都和不
同的女孩子在一起。
MR。NIKZAD: Captain; would you tell me who is responsible for catching the thieves? I’d like to
thank him personally。
警长; 您可不可以告诉我; 逮捕那些贼的人是谁? 我想亲自向他道谢。
CAPT。JAMISON: You know him。 你认识他的。
MR。NIKZAD: I do? 真的?
CAPT。JAMISON: But I must ask you not to tell anyone who he is。 不过; 我必须请你不要告诉任
何人他是谁;
CAPT。JAMISON: He’s one of our undercover men。 他是我们的一个便衣警员。
MR。NIKZAD: Certainly。 那当然!
CAPT。JAMISON: Sergeant O’Neill。 Would you step into my office? 欧尼尔警官; 请到我的办公
室来一下。
BILL: Captain? 什么事; 警长?
MR。NIKZAD: Mr。 O’Neill。 The ice cream vendor! I don’t believe it。 Ali was right。 欧尼尔先生; 那
个冰淇淋贩! 我真想不到!原来阿里是对的!
CAPT。JAMISON: Who was right? 谁对了?
MR。NIKZAD: My son; Ali。 我的儿子阿里。
MR。NIKZAD: He never stops talking about Mr。 O’Neill。 他一天到晚都在讲欧尼尔先生。
“MR。NIKZAD: He always says; ““Mr。 O’Neill is a secret agent。”““ 他总是说: 「欧尼尔先生是个
密探。」
CAPT。JAMISON: Sergeant; you didn’t say anything to the boy; did you? 警官; 你该没有对那个小
孩说什么吧?
MR。NIKZAD: Captain; I’m sure he didn’t have to。 Ali is very。。。 what is the word in English。。。
imaginative。 警长; 我相
信他用不着说。 阿里这孩子非常。。。 英文怎么讲。。。 想像力很丰富。
MR。NIKZAD: He enjoys pretending to be you; Sergeant。 You are his hero。 警官; 你是他心目中的
英雄; 他崇拜你; 很喜欢学你。
BILL: He’s a fine boy。 他是个好孩子。
MR。NIKZAD: And he loves talking to you about baseball。 他也很喜欢和你谈棒球。
MR。NIKZAD: He keeps trying to learn; 他一直试着学;
MR。NIKZAD: but I don’t know how to play; so I can’t teach him。 可是我不会玩; 所以就没办法教他。
MR。NIKZAD: But tell me Sergeant; how did you know those three were thieves? 那么; 警官请你
告诉我; 你怎么知道那叁个人是强盗?
BILL: I suspected something right away。 我一开始就起疑心。
BILL: They kept walking back and forth in front of the bank。 他们在银行的门口一直走来走去;
BILL: After watching them for three days; I knew something was going to happen soon。 在注意他们
叁天以后; 我就知道不久即会有事情发生了。
MR。NIKZAD: Why did you wait three days before acting? 你为什么要等叁天才采取行动呢?
BILL: We needed more proof; 因为我们需要更多的证据;
BILL: so I started noting their movements carefully。 I sold ice cream right under their noses。 所以我
着迷英语900 句
开始细心地观察他们的行踪。 我就在他们的跟前卖冰淇淋。
MR。NIKZAD: I am impressed; Sergeant; impressed and grateful。 But what a shame。 Ali can never
know he was right。我真钦佩你; 警官; 钦佩又感激。 但是; 真可惜; 阿里永远不会知道他是对的。
HUSSEIN: Ali! Did you hear? There was a robbery at Dad’s bank! 阿里! 你知不知道? 爸爸的银
行被人抢劫!
ALI: Wow! Did they take a lot of money? 哇! 他们抢了很多钱吗?
HUSSEIN: No。 Some undercover policemen at the Fair caught the thieves。 没有; 万博会有便衣警
察把强盗抓到了。
ALI: I bet Mr。 O’Neill did it! 我想一定是欧尼尔先生抓的;
ALI: When I grow up; I want to be a secret agent like Mr。 O’Neill。 我长大了以后; 我要当密探; 就
像欧尼尔先生一样。
HUSSEIN: Ali; Mr。 O’Neill is an ice cream vendor! 阿里; 欧尼尔先生是冰淇淋摊贩!
PEDRO: It’s been a long time。 好久不见了。
MICHAEL: Yes; it has。 是的; 很久不见了。
PEDRO: How have you been? 你好吗?
MICHAEL: Much better since I spoke to you last。 比上次和你讲话时好多了。
PEDRO: You know; Michael; I’m sorry about。。。 我要告诉你; 麦可; 我很抱歉关于。。。
MICHAEL: You don’t have to be。 不用道歉。
PEDRO: Then why are you still angry? Anyway; I am sorry。 那么你为什么还生气? 不管怎么样;
我是很遗憾。
MICHAEL: I am; too。 I thought we were friends。 我也是; 我想我们是好朋友。
PEDRO: We were。 是的; 我们是好朋友。
MICHAEL: How’s Marian? 玛丽安她好吗?
PEDRO: I don’t know。 我不知道。
PEDRO: I haven’t seen her for almost three years。 我已经快叁年没有看到她了。
MICHAEL: Didn’t she stay with you? 她没有跟你在一起吗?
PEDRO: No。 I saw her for a few weeks; and then she left。 she went to Florida。 没有; 我们交往了几
个星期; 她就离开了。 她到佛罗里达州去了。
MICHAEL: Haven’t you kept in touch? 你们没有保持联络吗?
PEDRO: No。 There was no reason to。 没有; 没有这个必要;
PEDRO: I was happy to see her go。 我很高兴她走了。
MICHAEL: Then why did you。。。 那么你为什么要。。。
PEDRO: Now wait a minute; Michael。 慢着; 麦可。
PEDRO: I didn’t go looking for her。 我不会去找她的;
PEDRO: She came to me。 过去是她找上门来的。
PEDRO: Michael。 It’s over。 I’m sorry。 What more can I say? Let’s have a beer and forget the whole
thing。 麦可; 事情已经结束了; 我很抱歉; 我还能说什么? 让我们喝杯啤酒去。 将这所有事情都
忘掉吧!
MICHAEL: Hello; Pedro。 How have you been? 佩德罗你好; 最近怎么样?
PEDRO: Okay; Michael。 It’s been a long time。 还不错; 麦可; 好久不见。
MICHAEL: Are you still interested in photography? 你仍然对摄影有兴趣吗?
PEDRO: Yes; and I’ve done a lot of new things。 e on; I’ll tell you about them。 是的; 而且我还
着迷英语900 句
作了很多新的尝试。 来;让我来告诉你。
MICHAEL: How’s your mother? I’ve missed her。 你妈妈好吗? 我真想念她。
MICHAEL: She’s fine。 她很好;
MICHAEL: She’ll be glad to see you again